Have you ever wondered how to shrink your stomach after a night of wining and dining (and midnight snacking)? Eating and over-eating is a touchy subject. We need to eat to survive, but over-eating is obviously also linked to gaining weight.
It can seem like an absolutely drastic weight loss decision to consider shrinking your stomach.
Between the dangers of stomach staples and other bariatric surgery methods, you may be thinking that there's no realistic way you could shrink your stomach without going under the knife.
However, there are many natural ways to curb your appetite and reduce belly fat.
Below, you can learn more about how your body processes food and how you can take more control over the process.
How Your Body Processes Food
Our bodies are very complex organisms – from the way we process emotions to the way we process food.
The digestive system is an essential part of our bodies.
It ensures that we get the nutrients we need to stay healthy and that those nutrients get delivered everywhere that needs them. It also allows us to fuel and regenerate our cells.
When we eat food, our bodies send neurological and hormonal signals to our brains that let us know we're full.
Our stomach wall also gives us an indicator that we're full by the feeling of being “stretched out.” Nerve endings send a message to your brain that your belly is expanding to accommodate food and that we should finish eating.
Additionally, it takes our bodies about 20 minutes after food is consumed to process the signal that we should stop eating.
For fast eaters, this can contribute to over-eating. For slow eaters, this can make them feel full faster and not get enough nutrients.
Doctors have studied our digestive process at length and have devised surgical ways to get around weight gain.
How To Shrink Your Stomach: Surgically
Weight loss surgery, or bariatric surgery, works in two basic ways.
- Restriction: In this case, doctors perform surgery to reduce your caloric intake by reducing how much food your stomach can hold.
- Malabsorption: With this, doctors perform surgery that restricts the number of calories the body can absorb by reducing the size of the small intestine.
The most popular weight loss surgery procedures are gastric bypass, gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy.
While you would need a consultation to determine which procedure would be best for you, they all work to restrict how much food you can ingest or restrict the nutrients you can absorb.
These surgeries have been successful in providing long-term weight loss solutions to those who qualify. In fact, it is possible to lose up to 50 to 60 percent of your original weight within two years.
That being said, bariatric surgeries require patients to completely alter their approach to food after the surgery. If they don't, severe complications can arise.
Bariatric surgery can be a good option for those who are clinically obese and have other ailments like high blood pressure, sleep apnea and diabetes.
However, for those who don't qualify for, or want bariatric surgeries, there are natural ways to reduce their weight and food intake.
How To Shrink Your Stomach: Naturally
We've all heard the slogans from surgical weight loss providers. They sound so enticing and so easy!
But if you're not a candidate for bariatric surgery, you do have options for how to naturally shrink your stomach.
- Change your mindset: View food as fuel, and embrace that your body deserves only the best.
- Start exercising: Your weight will drop if you're healthy overall. That means finding an exercise plan that's right for you as well.
- Drink water: Every function in your body needs water.
- Get enough sleep: Allow your cells to regenerate and body to recover with enough shut-eye.
- Limit alcohol: Especially as we age, alcohol can prevent our liver from ridding us of toxins. Save the drinking for social occasions.
- Reduce sugar intake: Your body becomes addicted to sugar. Gradually substitute sugary snacks for something healthier.
- Steer clear from sugar-free: Sugar-free options can have worse chemical substitutes than sugar itself.
- Drink green tea: This produces a special antioxidant that actually attacks belly fat.
With any physical change, it takes time and consistency to see results.
Find Your Fit
There are so many ways that you can become a healthier individual, that it can almost seem overwhelming.
We created the Fit Mother Project to be a place where mothers from all walks of life and all different needs can come for sound advice.
The community that we've created continually provides camaraderie and motivation to the sisterhood of Fit Moms.
We invite you to become a part of the Fit Mother Project by trying our free diet and workout – the Fit Mom 3-Day Weight Loss Jumpstart.
No more crash diets or unrealistic workout plans. The Fit Mom 3-Day Weight Loss Jumpstart has helped thousands of moms “jumpstart” their way into holistic health.
Now is your time to conquer your weight loss goals – whatever they look like for you.
*Please know that weight loss results & health changes/improvements vary from individual to individual; you may not achieve similar results. Always consult with your doctor before making health decisions. This is not medical advice – simply very well-researched info on how to shrink your stomach.