Looking for the best diet for women over 50? Various weight loss programs exist, and choosing the right one for you is the key to long-term success.
There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all weight loss program, but there are a few things to keep in mind when searching for a weight loss program that best matches your individual needs.
First and foremost, the best diet for women over 50 is one that best matches your preferences and is something you can stick with long-term.
Something like Fit Mother 30X (FM30X) — a weight loss and healthy weight management plan that’s helped thousands of women lose weight and keep it off for life. It includes:
- Motivational support to stay on track with your program.
- Customized meal plans.
- Numerous fat-burning workouts.
- Coaching from health experts.
- Access to a community of fit moms.
- And so much more!
Keep reading and find out how you can build YOUR best diet for women over 50!
Check out this episode of the Fit Mother Project Podcast and see how Fit Mother Gayla has been aging backward!
The Best Diet For Women Over 50
The best diet for women over 50 includes meals and snacks based on your food preferences and lifestyle.
Always keep in mind our Perfect Plate method:
- Fill half of your plate with non-starchy vegetables.
- One-fourth with protein foods.
- One-fourth with fiber-rich starches.
Here are some ideas to get you started on your best diet for women over 50.
- Protein powder mixed with fruit or nut butter and plant milk
- Fruit with nut butter
- Nuts and seeds
- Plain Greek yogurt topped with fruit or nuts
- Raw veggies or pita chips dipped in hummus
- Reduced-fat cheese with fruit
- Canned light tuna on whole-grain crackers or cucumbers with diced avocado
- Low-fat cottage cheese with sunflower seeds or fruit
- Air-popped popcorn and nuts
- Celery dipped in peanut butter
- Low-sugar meal replacement protein bars
- Vegetable omelet with oatmeal and plant milk
- Protein powder blended with oatmeal, fruit, or nut butter, and plant milk
- Whole-grain English muffin topped with eggs and tomatoes
- Cottage cheese, fruit, and nuts
- Whole-grain Ezekiel toast topped with uncured turkey bacon and avocado slices
- A low-sugar protein bar
Lunch and Dinner Ideas
- Leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, grilled chicken, and hard-boiled eggs topped with an oil-based dressing
- A lean turkey burger or a veggie burger topped with tomatoes and avocados (wrapped in lettuce or between a whole-grain bun)
- Tuna mixed with avocado oil mayonnaise and diced celery on top of whole-grain bread or leafy greens
- Taco salad made with very lean ground turkey, taco seasonings, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and avocados
- Baked or grilled tofu with vegetables
- Shrimp and veggie kabobs
- Zucchini noodles topped with grilled chicken, garlic olive oil sauce, and parmesan
- Cauliflower crust pizza topped with oil-based sauce, veggies, and grilled chicken
- Salmon, cod, tuna, shrimp, or other fish/seafood, plus quinoa and grilled veggies
- Grilled chicken or turkey plus brown rice and vegetables
- Turkey chili made with tomatoes, olives, pinto beans, and diced avocados
- Low-sodium chicken broth with seasonings, diced chicken, carrots, and celery
Change up weight loss meals and snacks regularly based on your food preferences.
The Foods To Eat — And Avoid
Before beginning the best diet for women over 50, shop for nutritious foods that fill you up without the extra calories and keep energy levels high.
Nutritious Protein Foods
The following grocery list includes healthy protein foods you can use when following the best diet for women over 50:
- Grilled chicken or turkey
- Very lean, fresh meats
- Salmon, tuna, catfish, or other low-mercury fish
- Shrimp or other seafood
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Nonfat Greek yogurt
- Tofu or seitan
- Reduced-fat cheese
- Plant milk
- Protein powder
- Nuts and seeds
These vegetables are non-starchy, meaning they contain just 5 grams (or less) of carbohydrates per serving. Eat a variety of these veggies when following the best diet for women over 50:
- Spinach, lettuce, or other leafy greens
- Green beans
- Bell peppers
The following foods are rich in fiber and carbohydrates and are part of a healthy weight loss meal plan because they fill you up for long time periods and give you energy:
- Brown rice
- Wild rice
- Whole-grain pasta
- Dried beans
- Sweet potatoes with the skin
Heart-healthy fats, while higher in calories than protein and carbohydrates, keep you full longer and are an important component of the best diet for women over 50. Choose a healthy fat at each meal, such as:
- Plant oils
- Fish oil
- Nut butter
- Oil-based dressings
Foods to AVOID
You probably already know about many of the foods you should avoid when weight loss is your goal. Choose the healthy foods listed above in recommended portions to help avoid cravings for junk food, such as:
- Fast foods
- Fried foods
- Baked goods
- Refined grains like white bread
- Frozen pizza
- Other prepackaged foods
- Other processed snack foods
- Sugary drinks
Cooking at home vs. dining out helps you avoid fried and processed foods and added ingredients often hidden in restaurant foods.
Dieting Isn't All About Food
What you eat is important when building the best diet for women over 50, but your diet isn't the only thing to consider.
In fact, there are many other lifestyle habits that could be just as important, if not more so. Implementing a holistic approach is the most efficient means of adopting a new weight loss program.
When planning the best diet for women over 50, try the following:
Have the Right Mindset
Making up your mind to lose weight is the first step in the process. Decide that it's more important to get excess weight off and be healthy than to eat unhealthy foods you may love.
Allow yourself cheat days every now and then so you don’t feel deprived, but make the commitment to eating better, staying active, and making other healthy lifestyle changes needed for long-term weight loss success.
Adopt a Healthy Lifestyle
A healthy lifestyle means more than simply adopting a reduced-calorie weight-loss meal plan. Try the following healthy lifestyle tips and tricks to boost your chance of weight loss success:
- Sleep at least 7 hours each night
- Keep stress levels low
- Drink 2 cups of water before meals
- Avoid eating while distracted (watching TV, etc.)
- Fight depression
- Spend time outdoors
- Stand or walk instead of sitting when possible
- Work on personal development
- Enhance your spirituality
- Attend regular health checkups
Unbalanced hormone levels, taking certain medications, and other medical conditions can hinder weight loss. That's why regular medical checkups are so important for effective weight loss and healthy weight management.
Listen to Internal Cues
Unless hunger hormones or your metabolism is off, your body gives you internal clues that you are or aren't hungry. Listen to hunger cues that might include:
- Stomach growling
- Bad breath
- Low blood sugar
- Difficulty concentrating
- An empty feeling in your stomach
Before you eat, ask yourself: are you truly hungry? Or is eating a desire because you see or smell food, are at a restaurant with friends, or feel sad or bored? If you're not sure, drink a large glass of water and reevaluate possible hunger cues.
Sign up for the best diet for women over 50 — Fit Mother 30X (FM30X) today!
*Please know that weight loss results & health changes/improvements vary from individual to individual; you may not achieve similar results. Always consult with your doctor before making health decisions. This is not medical advice – simply very well-researched info on the best diet for women over 50.